Friday, January 20, 2012

Human Models of Protein Synthesis

My 7th and 8th grade science classes have been learning about protein synthesis. There are five steps that our book uses to break down the process and the students have really struggled learning about this concept. I don't want them to dwell too long on this one component of our chapter but I want them to understand the overall ideas of it. So I decided to have them break into groups and create a human model of protein synthesis. Each student has a job (DNA, mRNA, tRNA, ribosome, etc.) and they needed to make props and "costumes" of some kind for their presentation. I wasn't sure how they would take the project but majority of my students are LOVING the experience. I planned two days for organizing props and one day for the short presentations. The planning days have taken all week and students are still asking for more time. They are so engaged in this process and each person is taking on a specific role. I have observed students truly taking ownership of their role and within their group. I am excited to see their presentations on Monday!

This experience reminds me that there are many different ways to engage my students in the science classroom and it doesn't always have to be a true science experiment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment